Fatal Inhalation of Liquid Manure Gas

  • Hagley, Stephen R.;
  • South, Diana L.


Modern methods of intensive livestock production involve the storage of liquid wastes. The digestion of this manure by anaerobic bacteria produces a highly toxic mixture of gases, the most dangerous of which is hydrogen sulphide. We report the case of a young man who died after inhaling liquid manure gas.


JOURNAL: Med J Aust. 1983; 2(9): 459-460.

Note: Medical Journal of Australia.

NLOM ID#: 84039180 .

Publication #: 84039180

This document was extracted from the CDC-NIOSH Epidemiology of Farm Related Injuries: Bibliography With Abstracts, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.

We are unable to supply copies of the full report cited in this entry. Readers are advised to use the following sources:

  • Author or publisher: articles are frequently available from the author or publisher.
  • Medical or other research libraries: these facilities often have the material on hand or know where it can be obtained. If available, each journal entry includes the appropriate National Library of Medicine unique identification number to aid in interlibrary loan requests.
  • Government: some U.S. Government-sponsored research reports, including ones out-of print, are available from the National Technical Information Service, U.S. Department of Commerce.

Disclaimer and Reproduction Information: Information in NASD does not represent NIOSH policy. Information included in NASD appears by permission of the author and/or copyright holder. More